Sir David Wemyss was one of the ambassadors sent to Norway in 1290 to bring the Maid of Norway to Scotland, the mission failing through her death.
His son, Sir Michael, was captured by the English at Hallidon Hill and another, Sir David, died at Flodden with James IV.
The church is mentioned in correspondence of the Wemyss family from the mid seventeenth century to the early eighteenth century, but after this date it drops from view and the church in East Wemyss, St Mary's by the Sea (site no. It is likely to have been in the north west corner of the cemetery, where there is a raised mound surrounded by a low wall and hedge and a family burial enclosure.
In 1946 it presented General Eisenhower with a guest flat in Culzean Castle as a gift for life in tribute to his achievements as Supreme Allied Commander, Europe.The 12th Earl of Wemyss and 8th of March, who died on December 12 aged 96, believed that aristocracy has to prove itelf in order to survive, and to that end he pursued a distinguished career in public life in Scotland, much of it devoted to preserving the country's heritage of art, landscape and historic buildings.He served as chairman of the council, and then as president, of the National Trust for Scotland from 1946 to 1991; as chairman of the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments for Scotland from 1949 to 1984; and as a member of the Royal Commisson on Historical Manuscripts from 1975 to 1988.There is an opening on the eastern side and on the southeast corner the foundations are crumbling and the wall is shifting slightly.In the enclosure against the western wall is an obelisk on either side of which there are stone crosses set into the wall.